Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has hinted that he may be ready to retire from international football, following Egypt‘s 2022 World Cup qualifier exit against Senegal.
The 29-year-old was one of three Egyptian players who missed from 12 yards in their 3-1 penalty shootout defeat on Tuesday, while Liverpool teammate Sadio Mane scored the decisive spot kick to send Senegal to Qatar and eliminate the Pharaohs in the process.
Salah, who played for Egypt at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, has since been filmed talking to his teammates in the dressing room, expressing his disappointment and also suggesting that he may have played his final international game.
“I told the players before the second match that I am proud to play with them and they are among the best I have played with,” Salah told his Egyptian teammates, via Goal.
“I am proud to play with you and it was an honour for me, and what happened cannot be interfered with by anyone because for the second time it is a penalty shootout (after the AFCON final defeat earlier this year against Senegal).
“There is not much I can say but it has been an honour to play with you, whether I will be in the national team after that or not.”
Salah, however, was interrupted by the Egyptian Minister of Sports, Ashraf Sobhi, who said: “You will be there.”
The Liverpool star has made 81 international appearances for Egypt, scoring 45 goals and providing 25 assists.