Zambia’s electoral body suspended campaign rallies before an August 12 election, due to the surge in the daily new confirmed coronavirus cases in the southern African nation.
The Electoral Commission of Zambia chief electoral officer, Kryticous Nshindano in comments broadcast on privately owned Diamond TV said that political parties should use alternative methods of campaigning that avoid crowds.
He affirmed that the election will go ahead as planned unless a state of emergency is declared.
It was gathered that the biggest opposition, the United Party for National Development, last month accused Lungu of using the pandemic to effectively block it from campaigning.
Zambia is experiencing its third wave of coronavirus infections and recorded 825 new cases in the past 24 hours, up from 149 on May 24.
Meanwhile, the country has cumulatively recorded 97 388 cases and 1 288 deaths.
While kicking off his re-election bid, Lungu last month ordered police to ensure political parties follow health guidelines and said competitors should avoid public gatherings so that Zambia avoids a situation like in India, where campaign rallies accelerated the spread of the pandemic.